Tuesday, December 11, 2007

WITH FEW RIGHTS - FEW OF THE DISPLACED POOR ABLE TO RETURN: NEW ORLEANS POST KATRINA






A line from a poem, “The New Colossus,” by the nineteenth-century American poet Emma Lazarus.
“The New Colossus,” describing the Statue of Liberty, appears on a plaque at the base of the statue.

It ends with the statue herself speaking:



Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:


I lift my lamp beside the golden door.




* Must meet 'eligibility' requirements. Visit your government office for official details. Offer not valid for Post Katrina refugees with no income, low income, or inability to pay higher trendy apartment market rates in upscale 'renovated' areas.







Read more then you decide...


THE IMPORTANCE OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE IN POST-KATRINA NEW ORLEANS


1 comment:

Planetary Sister said...

From your Planetary Sister:

This is the ONLY photo I have ever "staged" on this blog.

I take great pride in being able to find photo subject matter for this blog in the present moment. I am blessed to witness with my camera, perfect examples of reality on the ground in New Orleans, without "creating or staging" photo's.

In this particular instance, I had an inspiration to align the promise of Liberty with the reality of what life has come to mean for so many homeless and working poor Americans.

There is a pizza place in the city with this statue out front. I asked their permission to create the photo - I deliberately left out the background as this is my 'political statement" and not the beliefs or politics of the pizza place where the statue is located.


Intergity and truth mean are paramount to me. So is your readership and trust.

PEACE.