Wednesday, December 12, 2007

DISASTER APARTHEID ON THE BAYOU: FINDING OUR HUMANITY IN RED ZONES




DeAr SanTA,

WoULd YoU PleaSE heLP mANkind FInD tHEir hUMANity as mY ChrISTmaS pREsenT?

THANk YuO.








My car just drove me to this street. It happens when I allow myself to drive intuitively. As I drove around the neighborhood, I saw the SANTA. It's symbology and placement was so welcoming, so comforting. I had to get out of the car and walk around and the following is what I found.


MID-CITY NEW ORLEANS - REX PLACE



4 houses are occupied on this block. The "Santa" house sits on the left.

The following is a view of the street from the house.



This is the house across the street from the "Santa" house.


Can you understand why the "Santa" and what it symbolized for the children and the people of this neighborhood, drew me to find out more?


Then the chair on the porch drew me to this house, and seconds later the kitty called to come closer to see what this home was offering...






































It was offering what this whole street offered in symbolism, the experience of GRACE.

From you Planetary Sister,
It's experiences like this that help me remember to stay in my heart. The people who have suffered the worse in New Orleans and continue to suffer the most, teach me so much about gratitude, faith and trust.


No comments: