Tuesday, November 13, 2007

THE SHOCK DOCTRINE: THE RISE OF DISASTER CAPITALISM - NAOMI KLEIN

I began reading the Shock doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, by by Naomi Klein today. I am a speed reader and I read everything I could related to New Orleans and Katrina. I am now rereading the book again to absorb the whole "world" picture.

"At last! Thank you Naomi.

Now my mind has a way to "hold" and intellectually "understand" the underlying causes of the outrages of my heart and my spirit, at what I am witnessing in Post Katrina New Orleans.

Until I read the chapters related to disaster recovery which related to the 'effort' being put forth in the rebuilding of New Orleans, I had no way to "intellectually" understand what my camera, my eyes, and my heart were witnessing. Lately, I had begun to question the validity of some of my postings, believing myself to be "over-reacting" and " perhaps I was seeing problems where maybe there really weren't any - maybe, I was over dramatizing", I thought, irrationally!

I questioned myself because of the emotionality - the heightened degree of anger I was feeling and the ongoing distress in my heart at the suffering I was taking in through my eyes and heart in the streets of New Orleans. I thought something was wrong with me because of my anger - not understanding that my anger was a sign - an indicator - that something was wrong with what I am seeing!

I have been perceiving since I have been in New Orleans, and writing from the earliest posts, that I felt 1. New Orleans seems to be a "petri dish" and a great experiment is occurring here, 2. I believe that racial cleansing is occurring - blatantly - under the guise of free market capitalism. A system by which "the market" not the community, gets to decide or lobby heavily for, which areas get the funding, schools, stores, food markets, etc. and that 3. some sort of social engineering is occurring.

In reading the chapters relating to "disaster capitalism" that Naomi Klein has brilliantly written in her book Shock doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, - I am beginning to mentally comprehend the underlying forces (not for the "greater" good, by any means in my opinion) of what I perceive to be the injustices I see daily. Such as the difference between getting "private security" policing your streets and overstretched off duty New Orleans police officers guarding your grocery store (Whole Foods) or the Military Police in HumVee's cruising your streets. Or which schools get needed public funding private schools or public schools which look like military detention centers or just remain boarded up.

I know a lot of people have said to me "well we are so glad the Military and the private police are here to help." These well meaning statements would really bother me and I could not "understand" why "I" was being so unreasonable. Now I understand. A aspect of my conscious moral self, was being constantly exposed to, and documenting, a phenomenon that Naomi has accurately described as "Disaster Capitalism", which I feel is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, MORALLY, AND CONSTITUTIONALLY WRONG - WRONG - WRONG.

The "cure"? You and I. Volunteering. Being vigilant against the complacency and false sense of security and instant gratification that capitalism purchases for you.

There is much more on this subject - which I guess has always been the premise at some level, of this blog. In this moment, as I write, I feel the sense of internal relativity and meaningfulness that comes with the discovery of learning something so vital and amazing that every aspect of you "knew" at some level, except for your mind. That "light-bulb" going off in your brain moment. As a result, many of my upcoming blog entries are going to become my version of "show" and "tell" through photo's and relevant quotes from Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.



We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.


--Preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America




The Shock Doctrine Short Film

NaomiKlein.org - Shock Doctrine

No comments: