Monday, November 12, 2007

FANTASTIC IMAGERY AND INCONGRUOUS JUXTAPOSITONS






This morning 4 trim, well groomed women, casually rode their horses down this path, laughing and exchanging stories. Whilst men played rounds of golf on the well manicured golf courses, and nannies and mothers walked their charges around the serene grounds of Audubon Park.





In the nearby neighborhood, lawns were being cut, trim on houses being repainted, vehicles are being washed and waxed by men who will come to your home to save you time. Trickle down economics.


















20 minutes away in the same city...





Houses remain ungutted, Numerous schools are closed. There doesn't even seem to be "enough money" to help the children. In our new Nation of the Free - "freedom" seems to be based on the best opportunities money can buy. The "panorezation" of the United States of America. No worries, it will be coming to your town soon.














Later in the afternoon on this same day, I rode my bicycle over to the supermarket - Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods) to buy some organic produce. I overheard the man in line in front of me in the express checkout say to the cashier, "What's the most expensive amount anyone has ever spent on one bag of groceries? " The cashier responded "I don't know, about $100." The man in front of me laughs and says (guilelessly), "I guess I have hit my all time high for one bag of groceries." (6 items - total $102.54) I had, had to say something, I could not just keep it in, I interrupted the conversation, "Now that is the difference between being Uptown at Whole Foods Market and the 9th Ward. "

Imagine how far that $100 would have gone if spent by a family living in the 9th Ward, Chalmette, Algiers. Do I begrudge anyone what they want, when they want it, it they have the money to pay for it?


No.


I do get angry sometimes when I see the few, consume so much, whilst the many, have so little.




I have been practicing a mindfulness meditation ever since:


You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
--Buddha




Too many incongruous juxtapositions in one day.



Seeking Peace, your Planetary Sister.


Inequality.org

Forbes Billionaires Listing 2007

Real Wealth Economy The "Caring Value System"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.