Sunday, August 5, 2007

ALEXANDER DRIVE, ARABI, LA 70032

DAY 5



"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.

I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. "


--Mother Teresa


Government is a trust, and the officers of the government are trustees;

and both the trust and the trustees are created

for the benefit of the people.




(End left side of Alexander Street by the water - begin right side of the street heading to start)



In a country well governed poverty is something to be ashamed of.

In a country badly governed wealth is something to be ashamed of.


There are 49 empty lots where homes once stood and no one has returned.

4 of the original homes were left standing on this block.

There are 2 new 'modular" homes.

3 of these homes are occupied.

There is one garage standing. One the front of the garage someone has painted:

"Do not bulldoze this is all I got"

There are 4 occupied FEMA trailers on the block.

2 years after Katrina and the levee breaks, things are not "okay"

The suffering is profound. The loss this community endured is imponderable.

Grief and despair lingers in the air...



(Inland side of Alexander Street - right side of signpost)


Yesterday, I drove into Arabi and began driving around and about a half hour later, I "happened upon" Alexander Street. There was something poignant in the handmade street sign (see above) at top of the street and I felt compelled to get out and begin walking around and photographing the street. I did not see a map of this area and where Alexander Street was placed until posting this blog today. What I did see and expereince in the area was an errie "quietness", a feeling of desolation, and of isolation.

There seemed to be a quality of sacredness to the area especially on the end of Alexander Street I photographed. It felt as if Iwas in a graveyard - walking on sanctified ground.

I experienced the few blocks I drove around in Arabi and then walked around photographing, as an area where there has been an enourmous amount of grief and suffering. The pain, the suffering, lies gaping - open - as if it were a wound, for all to see and most importantly, open to the sunlight and hope which can in time, eventually bring healing.


IN PEACE.

No comments: