Saturday, June 23, 2007

UPDATE #2 - THE LIGHT SIDE OF HEALING

6/25/07 5:00 P.M.

I have spent the entire day on the phone and the computer researching and signing up for resources to help those I have met who are suffering greatly.

My interactions this weekend have taught me a lot and I know much more at 5 P.M. Monday afternoon than I did on the previous Friday afternoon.

I am hoping that professional help is going to come forth as a result of my work today. I spoke with some wonderful people doing incredible work helping people to recover from the devastation of Katrina.

The elder whom I have had various experiences with this past weekend whom I will never identify, (what is more important and why I write {with permission when I do} is for you dear reader, to be able to see how intense the suffering is for the people here in New Orleans. And this is just one area the 9th Ward. There are so many other parish's and areas where the suffering is just as intense.)

I hope that those who read this blog will understand that ongoing help is needed. There is a serious shortage of mental health resources, contractor fraud is rampant, and PTSD which has not been diagnosed yet is I believe, a major factor in the increased crime and the death rates - all are contributing to incredible suffering.

I am sure for those who have been keeping up with this blog, you are aware by now that I am far from perfect as a volunteer. That is why I try to be as transparent as possible. So that you can see that you don't have to be perfect, you just have to want to help. A spot can be found for you where you can help the most.

And yes, I will continue to help this elder and all the other elders I have written about on this blog (see: One Love - One Family link on right hand side of this page). Now that I know that there are more resources available, I can do what I can to direct all these folks to the resources they need, advocate when I can, and help them to the best of my hearts capabilities.

IN PEACE.

No comments: